Genital Warts Symptoms Singapore

Genital Warts Symptoms in Singapore: Genital warts are the most common sexually transmitted disease. They’re caused by a virus known as HPV. They can be removed, but may go away on their own.

Symptoms

Genital warts are usually found on the external surfaces of the body, including on the penis or scrotum, the outer parts of the female genitalia, or on the skin surrounding the anus. They can also occur on internal surfaces, including inside the vagina, on the cervix, or inside the anus or urethra (the tube for urine). Usually, there is a group of several warts all together, although sometimes just a single wart occurs. The warts are often small, less than 5mm in diameter, but sometimes they can grow to be much larger. Their appearance can be quite variable. Some warts are soft, while other warts have a harder surface. Some are flesh-colored, while others are darker than the surrounding skin. Some are very rough on the surface or have several bumps, while others are more smooth in appearance.

Of those who contract HPV, only 10% will actually develop genital warts. However, the other 90% are still contagious, so they can pass the virus on to other sexual partners. Those who don’t develop genital warts almost never know that they have the HPV infection.

Some strains of HPV are associated with cancer of the cervix in women. However, the types of HPV that cause genital warts are different from the types of HPV that cause cervical cancer.

Other types of HPV also cause warts in other places on the body, including on the hands and feet. In some cases, warts can be transferred from the person’s hands to the genitals; this is called autoinoculation. This is not unique to genital warts; warts can similarly transfer to and from other parts of the body, such as from the hands to the feet.